Friday, June 01, 2007

Farewell to William Roger Nowokap 1979-2007

William,
I have looked for words to explain what happened to us, our community, you, i can't find any.

I have tried to be strong, saying to myself that you are in a better place but i just can't adjust to the fact that you are not around.

I told to other people, jokes we use to make, silly things we use to do, small things we used to laugh about but they just can't laugh at them the way you used to.

You were an inspiration, a spirit, a voice!!!, a voice that many tried to shut up and none succeeded in doing so. A voice that spoke to people in languages and in ways they could understand. A voice that announced equality, liberty, and fraternity.

You were a force, so strong that nothing could break you down, you stood up against discrimination and fought for dignity, you pointed out homophobia and demanded respect.
you show us all the way to love one another and that we will keep it in our hearts forever

Here is a poem for you By EE Cummings
i carry your heart
i Carry your heart with me
(i carry it in my heart)
i am never without it
(anywhere I go you go, my dear; and whatever is done by only me is your doing, my darling)
i fear no fate
(for you are my fate, my sweet)
i want no world
(for beautiful you are my world, my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you
here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)


Roger William Nowokap was a Cameroonian gay rights activist, he lost his life in
a Kenya Airways plane crash. He was en route from Douala, Cameroon to
Johannesburg to represent his organization at the Africa Regional Conference of
the International Gay and Lesbian Association. William was an accountant by
vocation and a committed human rights defender by calling. He had only recently
found his voice and “come out,” resulting in his dismissal from his job and the
loss of support of his family. He became the administrative officer for
Alternatives-Cameroun and participated so fiercely that he was chosen to
represent the organization at the ILGA conference. IGLHRC offers its condolences
to William’s partner and to the entire Cameroonian LGBT community.


3 comments:

Mad Nigerian said...

Who shall lead LGBT Cameroun now? Who shall they follow? We wish his family the fortitude to bear this loss. May his soul rest in peace

Leo said...

This post almost did make me cry. How beautiful people we had and still have in our communities. As the prevoius comment said, I wish his family could cope with this loss. Despite they didn't support him, Wish their conscience rest in peace as him is.

Anonymous said...

Willy a friend i knew very well, we spent a good moment when he cam and piked his visa here in YAounde and all my best wishes to him. Just to hear on this sad day that he passed away in the Kenyan Airlines.

FARE WELL MY FRIEND' MY YOUR SOUL REST IN PERFECT HARMONY